Do you value privacy? If your answer is but I have nothing to hide, then you should really read this post because, by the end of it, you will definitely going to gain a new perspective about the importance of your privacy on the internet.
If you don’t fancy your neighbors looking at what you’re doing inside your house, then it’s even worse online, your data and personal information could be leaked and seen by millions of people online, of course, you don’t want that to happen.
Every day we browse the internet, and usually, we tend to share tons of information about ourselves that could lead to serious damages if it falls into the wrong hands.
Government surveillance agencies, internet companies, advertisers, and cybercriminals are all patiently waiting for you to share another important fact about your personal life. Believe it or not, they’re already monitoring your online behavior to learn more about your online activities, so obviously, there are many reasons why you want to protect your privacy.
1) ”Privacy is one of the biggest problems in this new electronic age.” – Andy Grove.
2) ”I’m afraid people can see me through my webcam even though it’s off.” – Unknown.
3) ”Privacy is not an option, and it shouldn’t be the price we accept for just getting on the internet.” – Gary Kovacs.
4) ”The fantastic advances in the field of electronic communication constitute a greater danger to the privacy of the individual.” – Earl Warren.
6) ”I can’t in good conscience allow the U.S. government to destroy privacy, internet freedom and basic liberties for people around the world with this massive surveillance machine they’re secretly building.” –Edward Snowden.
7) ”Privacy is dead, and social media hold the smoking gun.” – Pete Cashmore.
8) ”In a world where everyone is overexposed, the coolest thing you can do is maintain your mystery.” –Unknown.
9) ”Without privacy, there was no point in being an individual.” – Jonathan Franzen.
10) ”If it is private, don’t put it on Facebook.” – Unknown.
11) ”If it’s on the internet, it isn’t private.” – Unknown.
12) ”We are rapidly entering the age of no privacy, where everyone is open to surveillance at all times, where there are no secrets from government.” – William O. Douglas.
13) ”No, I don’t have anything to hide. I just don’t like people looking through my phone.” – Unknown.
14) ”I’m very concerned about the future of free speech given current trends. The demands for governments and companies to censor and monitor internet users are coming from an increasingly diverse set of actors with very legitimate concerns about safety and security.” – Rebecca Mackinnon.
15) ”There is no country on earth where internet and telecommunications do not face at least some pressure from governments to do things that would potentially infringe on users’ right s to free expressions and privacy.” – Rebecca MacKinnon.
16) ”Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.” – Mitchell Kapor.
17) ”I don’t like showing my privacy online.” – Eduardo Saverin.
18) ”At one point I thought changing my name might help with privacy, but that was before the internet.” –Olivia Wilde.
19) ”Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.” – Edward Snowden.
20) ”The user in Chin wants the same thing that any internet user wants privacy in conversations, maximum access to information, and the ability to speak their minds online.” – Rebecca MacKinnon.
21) ”A child born today will grow up with no conception of privacy at all. They’ll never know what it means to have a private moment to themselves, an unrecorded unanalyzed thought. And that’s a problem because privacy matters. Privacy is what allows us to determine who we are and who we want to be.” –Edward Snowden.
22) ”If you don’t protect your personal privacy, who will?” – Unknown.
23) ”Regarding social media, I really don’t understand what appears to be the general population’s lack of concern over privacy issues in publicizing their entire lives on the Internet for others to see to such an extent.” – Axl Rose.
24) ”If you care about privacy online, you need to actively protect it.” – Roger Dingledine.
25) ”Once you’ve lost your privacy, you realize you’ve lost an extremely valuable thing.” – Jodi Rell.
(If you’re wondering about the best ways to protect your online privacy, a virtual private network (VPN) is the first thing that you need to signup for).